Monday, January 16, 2017
No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
MLK Background Information
"I Have A Dream" - Martin Luther King Jr. (August 28, 1963)
- Watch the video of MLK Jr. speaking
- Take notes on the following:
- statements that are particularly powerful
- things you find striking or interesting about the WAY he presents his speech
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
"I Have A Dream" Full Speech Transcript
"I Have A Dream" Assessment (Click HERE)
Compare and Contrast:
What qualities make for a powerful speaker/speech?
Watch the video of Sarah Kay's spoken word poem "If I should have a daughter" and compare it to the way MLK delivers his famous "I Have A Dream" speech.
Exit Slip: If you had to write your own "I Have A Dream" speech, what would you write it on? What would be YOUR dream for people/society/humanity?
Thursday, January 19, 2017
BASEBALL WRITERS SHOULD KEEP THE CHEATERS OUT (click HERE)
Life is your talents discovered - Sir Ken Robinson (speech)
Dead Poet's Society - Robin Williams (teaching/lecture)
Parenting Song - Time Hawkins (standup comedy/musical comedy)
Preparing for your own "I Have A Dream" Speech...
- What were some strategies that all speakers shared that were effective in impacting their audience?
- What were some strategies that you felt were INEFFECTIVE in impacting the audience?
- Given the topic you would like to write about for YOUR "I Have a Dream" speech, what might be three strategies you could use to impact your audience? For each strategy, explain WHY it would be the most effective options? (Ex. if you're using humor to reach your audience, why is that appropriate to your topic and audience?
Friday, January 20, 2017
Write Your Own! - "I Have A Dream" (one page)
- What is your dream for yourself, for your family, for society, etc...
- How can you accomplish that dream? What steps can you take to help yourself and others reach those goals?
- What is the benefit to yourself, others, and society as a whole if your dreams were to come to light?
- Who is your audience? How would you speak to them in order to inspire them?